The ability to understand and work with others sets the best leaders apart and leads to success – that is where emotional intelligence comes in. Leaders who believe they can succeed by relying soley on their intellect and years of experience are missing a huge opportunity.
Each of the 4 Pillars of Emotional Intelligence CAN be developed and improved upon. Investing what is needed to increase each of these areas can have a profound and lasting impact on your leadership success.
What Are The 4 Pillars of Emotional Intelligence?
1. Self Awareness
- a. How did I contribute to the problem?
- b. What am I feeling right now and how is it impacting this situation?
- c. What are my 3 greatest strengths?
2. Managing Emotions
- a. How can I express my frustration with my co-worker?
- b. What can I do to stay engaged in this meeting?
- c. How do I tell my box I don’t like his idea?
3. Social Awareness
- a. What strengths does this person have that the team can leverage?
- b. Why does he get so angry when I bring up that topic?
- c. How does my behavior impact others?
4. Relationship Management
- a. Develop and nurture strategic relationships
- b. Collaborate with diverse teams
- c. Effectively navigate high-stakes conversations