This is the first in a series of six articles from Klassen Performance Group that will focus on giving you specific, practical ways to develop the primary characteristics of emotional intelligence.
Emotional Intelligence is the key differentiator that sets the best leaders apart from the rest.
This isn’t to say that IQ isn’t important; it is. There is a certain level of intellectual ability required for every position. Beyond that, it is the ability to understand and work with others that sets the best leaders apart and leads to success. That is where emotional intelligence comes in. Leaders who think they can succeed by relying soley on their intellect are missing a huge opportunity.
The reason emotional intelligence has such a significant impact on success is because leaders with strong EQ:
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills that earn them respect and enable them to effectively influence, implement change, negotiate, manage conflict, and bring people together to accomplish goals.
- Keep cool under pressure and quickly bounce back from setbacks.
- Manage impulses and keep a steady long-term focus.
- Set the most effective emotional tone during meetings and interpersonal conversations.
- Actively listen and understand others’ needs and motivations.
- Express emotions productively and elicit emotions when needed.
- Understand how emotions impact their decision-making and problem-solving and consciously use emotional data to increase their effectiveness.
- Accurately read emotional cues from others and discern how what they say and do impacts others.
Consider how important all of this is for the safety manager who needs to eliminate accidents, the sales person who needs to increase sales, the leader in a constantly changing culture, or the manager who wants to advance.
The good news is that unlike IQ that remains relatively stable over time, EQ can be developed. When you consider all of the skills emotional intelligence impacts, how can you afford not to develop it?
If you would like more in-depth information and practice developing emotional intelligence, contact Dr. Heather Johnson about bringing our course in-house to your team.
Explore our selection of Online Courses and Webinars
Dr. Heather Johnson is an internationally recognized speaker with extensive experience developing leaders. With a doctorate in Psychology and over 20 years of business experience, she works with leaders to quickly identify individual and team performance obstacles and develops customized solutions that lead to rapid change and lasting results. Heather facilitates public and in-house workshops that deliver personalized, practical, and immediate results. Some of her most requested topics are: Influence, Emotional Intelligence, Team Building, Communication, and Strategic Planning. For more information call contact us here or call 651-210-6021.